Your acceptance of terms
- a "Visitor," meaning you simply browse the Website, including, without limitation, through a mobile or other wireless device, or otherwise use the Website without being registered, or
- a "Registered User," meaning that you have registered with Complexity Explorer for a User ID and User Password (defined below), or have registered with Complexity Explorer by enrolling in an online course hosted at the Website, or
- a “Student,” meaning that you are a Registered User who has enrolled in one or more Online Courses.
The term "User" refers to a Visitor or Registered User.
User accounts and user registration
While any Visitor can view the Website, in order to use some of the features of the Website, you must select a login identification ("User ID") and a user password ("User Password") that is unique and entirely different from your User ID (collectively, a "User Account"). You agree that you will never divulge or share access or access information to your User Account with any third party for any reason.
In setting up your User Account, you may be prompted or required to enter additional information, including but not limited to your name and email address. Additional information may be required to confirm your identity. You understand and agree that all information provided by you is accurate, current and complete and that you will maintain and update your information to keep it accurate, current and complete. You acknowledge that if any information provided by you is untrue, inaccurate, not current or incomplete, we reserve the right to terminate your use of the Website.
In addition to the registration process, as part of your use of the Website or participation in the Online Courses, we may obtain certain information about you. Some of this information may be personally identifiable information. We may use this information to provide certain services to you and may share such information with third parties in conjunction with such services.
The Website is available to any User. However, certain services, such as enrolling in an Online Course, is limited to Registered Users (i.e. Users who have signed up for User Accounts). By registering, you agree that:
- you are registered for only one User Account will not set up multiple User Accounts; and
Additional requirements apply to Students. As a Student, in addition to the points above, you agree that:
- you are registering with the intent to view lectures, complete homework assignments, take and submit exams and other activities related to taking the class, and subject to satisfactory performance determined in the sole discretion of the instructors, you may be awarded a certificate of completion signed by the instructors upon conclusion of the applicable Online Course;
- you acknowledge that any certificate of completion awarded will not be affiliated with any college or university and will not stand in the place of a course taken at an accredited institution;
- you acknowledge that instructors of any Online Course will not be involved in any attempts to get the course recognized by any educational or accredited institution; and
- you will abide by the Student Conduct Policy listed below.
If you do not qualify, you may not attend the Online Courses.
SFI and the instructors of the Online Courses reserve the right to alter, modify or rearrange the schedule of topics for the Online Courses, as well as the point value or weight of assignments, tests, quizzes, exams, projects and other such evaluations of progress. A certificate of completion shall be awarded, at the sole discretion of SFI and the instructors for the Online Courses, to Students who have completed the course to the satisfaction of the instructors. By attending the Online Courses, Students acknowledge that SFI and the instructors maintain the right and ability to adapt, modify or revise the Online Courses as SFI and the instructors deem appropriate.
Student conduct policy
To the extent a Student is registered as a student in an accredited institution or educational institution with its own policy regarding student conduct or an "honor code," those terms shall apply to any such Student. Additionally, unless the following conflicts with such a policy or honor code, a Student of the Online Courses agrees that he or she:
- will not harass other Students, Registered Users, or Visitors;
- will not cheat on any homework assignment or exams for the Online Courses;
- will not post online any Secured Testing Materials (as defined below);
- will not share solutions to homework assignments or exams unless specifically permitted by the instructors of the Online Course; and
User conduct policy
In addition, you may not post, upload, or transmit to or otherwise make available through the Website or Online Courses any content, communications, or other information (collectively, "Unauthorized Content"):
- that is obscene, fraudulent, indecent, or libelous or that defames, abuses, harasses, discriminates against or threatens others;
- that contains any viruses, Trojan horses, worms, time bombs, cancelbots, or other disabling devices or other harmful components intended to or that may damage, detrimentally interfere with, surreptitiously intercept, or expropriate any system, data, or personal information;
- that you do not have the right to disclose or make available under any law or under contractual or fiduciary relationships (such as insider information, or proprietary and confidential information learned or disclosed as part of employment relationships or under nondisclosure agreements);
- that consists of any high-volume, automated, or electronic means to access the Website (including without limitation robots, spiders or scripts);
- that infringes the copyright, patent, trademark, trade secret, right of publicity, or other intellectual property or proprietary right of any third party;
- that violates the rights of other Users of the Website; or
- that violates any applicable local, state, national or international law or otherwise advocates or encourages any illegal activity.
The Santa Fe Institute’s intellectual property rights
All content or other material available on the Website or through the Online Courses, including but not limited to on-line lectures, speeches, video lessons, quizzes, presentation materials, homework assignments, programming assignments, programs, code, and other images, text, layouts, arrangements, displays, illustrations, documents, materials, audio and video clips, HTML and files (collectively, the "Content"), are the property of SFI and/or its affiliates or licensors and are protected by copyright, patent and/or other proprietary intellectual property rights under United States and foreign law.
Any logos, trademarks and service marks that may appear on the Website ("Marks"), are the property of SFI and are protected under United States and foreign laws. All other trademarks, service marks and logos used on the Website, with or without attribution, are the trademarks, service marks or logos of their respective owners. In addition, elements of the Website are protected by trade dress and other federal and state intellectual property laws and may not be copied, reproduced, downloaded or distributed in any way in whole or in part without the express written consent of SFI.
License to use the Website and online courses
Creative Commons license
SFI hereby grants you a license in and to the Educational Content under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/ and successor locations for such license) (the "CC License"), provided that, in each case, the Educational Content is specifically marked as being subject to the CC License. As used herein, "Educational Content" means the educational materials made available to you through the Website and Online Courses, including such on-line lectures, speeches, video lessons, quizzes, presentation materials, homework assignments, programming assignments, code samples, and other educational materials and tools, but, in any event, specifically excluding any Secure Testing Materials. Such Educational Content will be considered the "Work" under the terms of the CC License. "Secure Testing Materials" refers to any exams or other testing materials that are used for certification purposes.
The Website and Online Courses may provide you with the ability to upload forum posts, user discussions, profile pages, and other content and media for social interaction, or certain information and materials for use with the Website or Online Courses, e.g., questions, hypothetical, examples, etc. (collectively, "User Content"). SFI does not claim ownership of any User Content you may submit or make available for inclusion on the Website or Online Courses. Accordingly, subject to the license granted to SFI below, User will be the sole and exclusive owner of any and all rights, title and interest in and to the User Content.
Additionally, from time to time, SFI (or its third party service providers on behalf of the Santa Fe Institute) may request Users to make subtitles or captions for, or translations of, Content such as lecture videos and other Educational Content, and submit such subtitles, captions, or translations to SFI through a Complexity Explorer website/portal or the website/portal of Complexity Explorer’s service provider. In the event that Complexity Explorer (or its service provider) makes such a request to you, SFI will grant to you a freely revocable, worldwide, non-exclusive, nontransferable, non-sublicensable limited right and license to make such subtitles, captions or translations provided that you agree to submit such subtitles, captions or translations to Complexity Explorer (or its applicable service provider), and such subtitles, captions and translations shall be considered User Content and subject to the license, representations, and warranties below (even if you fail to submit the subtitles, captions or translations to Complexity Explorer); and further provided that you acknowledge and agree that by creating or submitting any such subtitles, captions or translations, you shall not obtain any rights or license in or to SFI’s and its affiliate's intellectual property, including but not limited to the Education Content, related materials, or any underlying content. For clarity, the foregoing license to make subtitles, captions or translations, if given, shall in no way expand or otherwise affect, expressly or impliedly, the terms of the CC License, and any such license is given under this Section 8 and not under the CC License. Additionally, in the event that you use any tools or other services of Complexity Explorer’s service provider in order to make subtitles, captions or translations, you agree to comply with any terms and conditions imposed by such servicer provider in conjunction with such use (e.g., those terms found at http://www.amara.org/en/terms).
With respect to any User Content you submit to Complexity Explorer (including for inclusion on the Website or Online Courses) or that is otherwise made available to Complexity Explorer, you hereby grant SFI an irrevocable, worldwide, perpetual, royalty-free and non-exclusive license to use, distribute, reproduce, modify, adapt, publicly perform and publicly display such User Content on the Website or in the Online Courses or otherwise exploit the User Content. SFI reserves the right to remove any User Content at any time and for any reason.
To the extent that you provide any User Content, you represent and warrant that (a) you have all necessary rights, licenses and/or clearances to provide such User Content and permit SFI to use such User Content as provided above, (b) such User Content is accurate and reasonably complete, (c) as between you and SFI, you shall be responsible for the payment of any third party fees related to the provision and use of such User Content, and (d) such User Content does not and will not infringe or misappropriate any third party rights or constitute a fraudulent statement or misrepresentation or unfair business practices.
With respect to any submissions of User Content, you agree to comply with all applicable local rules including but not limited to rules regarding online conduct and acceptable content. Specifically, you agree to comply with all applicable laws regarding the transmission of technical data exported from the United States or the country in which you reside.
Use of provided communication methods
Disclaimer of warranties
You expressly acknowledge and agree that your use of the Website, the Online Courses and all Content and services available on the Website is at your sole risk and responsibility. THE WEBSITE AND ONLINE COURSES (INCLUDING ANY CONTENT) IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND "AS AVAILABLE" WITH NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT. YOU ASSUME TOTAL RESPONSIBILITY AND THE ENTIRE RISK FOR YOUR USE OF THE WEBSITE, ONLINE COURSES, AND CONTENT.
WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, WE DO NOT WARRANT THAT (A) THE WEBSITE, CONTENT, OR THE ONLINE COURSES WILL MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS OR EXPECTATIONS OR ACHIEVE THE INTENDED PURPOSES, (B) THE WEBSITE OR THE ONLINE COURSES WILL NOT EXPERIENCE OUTAGES OR OTHERWISE BE UNINTERRUPTED, TIMELY, SECURE OR ERROR-FREE, (C) THE INFORMATION OR CONTENT OBTAINED THROUGH THE WEBSITE OR THE ONLINE COURSES WILL BE ACCURATE, COMPLETE, CURRENT, ERROR-FREE, COMPLETELY SECURE OR RELIABLE, OR (D) THAT DEFECTS IN OR ON THE WEBSITE OR CONTENT WILL BE CORRECTED. YOU ASSUME ALL RISK OF PERSONAL INJURY, INCLUDING DEATH AND DAMAGE TO PERSONAL PROPERTY, SUSTAINED FROM USE OF THE WEBSITE,ONLINE COURSES, AND CONTENT.
Limitation of liability
Linking to other sites
The Website may contain links to pages on other websites ("Linked Sites"), and those Linked Sites may contain content or offer products and/or services for sale. SFI does not author, edit, control, or monitor these Linked Sites. You acknowledge and agree that (a) we have no responsibility for the accuracy or availability of information provided by Linked Sites, and (b) we do not control or endorse the sponsors of such Linked Sites or the content, products, advertising, or other materials presented on such Linked Sites. We may remove any Linked Sites from the Website at any time for any reason or for no reason.
SFI WILL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY TRANSACTIONS conducted by you WITH THIRD PARTIES through the Linked Sites OR for ANY LIABILITY ARISING FROM the representations OR INFORMATION PROVIDED on such Linked Sites.
We appreciate that Linked Sites may contain material in which the operator of the Linked Sites has intellectual property rights. We respect those rights and provide the links for information purposes only. The fact that we have linked to any Linked Site does not create or imply any relationship or partnership with the operator of such Linked Site.
Termination of rights
Dispute procedure and claims of copyright infringement
SFI respects the rights and intellectual property of others, and we ask our users to do the same. If you believe that your product or other work has been misrepresented or used in a way that constitutes copyright infringement, or your intellectual property rights have been otherwise violated, please provide SFI’s Copyright Agent with the following information:
- an electronic or physical signature of the person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of the product, copyright or other intellectual property interest;
- a description of the product, work or other intellectual property that you claim has been misrepresented or infringed;
- a description of where the material that you claim is misrepresenting or infringing your product, work or other intellectual property is located on the Online Courses;
- your address, telephone number, and email address; • a statement by you that you have a good faith belief that the disputed use is not authorized by the owner of the product, work, copyright or intellectual property, or its agent, or applicable law; and
- a statement by you, made under penalty of perjury, that the above information in your notice is accurate and that you are the product, work, copyright or intellectual property owner or authorized to act on such owner's behalf.
SFI's Copyright Agent for notices of disputes or claims of copyright or other intellectual property infringement can be reached as follows:
Santa Fe Institute
1399 Hyde Park Road
Santa Fe, NM 87501
Santa Fe Institute
1399 Hyde Park Road
Santa Fe, NM 87501
The section titles herein are displayed for convenience only and have no legal effect.